Friday, March 23, 2012

"Stick with what ya know"


 

I've been painting wildlife with acrylic paints in a realistic style for years. I was just sick of it, so I decided to change. I bought some oils and took a workshop from Carol Marine in December. I was bound and determined to paint loose and change my ways. Fast forward three months. I've decided, for the most part, to stick with what I know. After a couple months of frustration, I keep drifting back to acrylic and painting tighter. I am still determined to loosen up and not just stick to wildlife subjects.
I guess I should have labelled this post "bit off more than I can chew"

Here is an older painting I did that is hanging in our kitchen that I decided to auction off. My wife probably won't be happy with me if it sells. It's okay, though I'll just paint her another one.


4 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your "stick to what you know" paintings. Still love the geese, would love to have Max pose for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, Don't knock tight realism. It's not everyone who can do it. If you enjoy it, keep going. You're very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really amazing Scott!! The patience it takes to do this kind of work, will get you to wherever you feel you need to go with painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has always been my favorite. It's just awesome. Really really awesome.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis